With a nutty hazelnut undertone and spicy white pepper, exotic floral finish, this wine is focused, yet generous in style and maintains freshness due to its acidity which creates a Chardonnay of lovely complexity and depth.
Aromas of bright lemon citrus, fresh green apple with hints of subtle elderflower fill the glass and pique your interest in this crisp Chardonnay. On the palate, you’ll find a classic refreshing Chardonnay with a vibrancy of citrus that transitions into lemon curd while also maintaining a roundness in texture that is balanced (hinting at the delicate battonage lees stirring during the winemaking process). With a nutty hazelnut undertone and spicy white pepper, exotic floral finish, this wine is focused, yet generous in style and maintains freshness due to its acidity which creates a Chardonnay of lovely complexity and depth.
The grapes for the Napa Valley Chardonnay were sourced from southern appellations within the valley, where fog from the San Pablo Bay helps to cool the vineyards throughout the growing season, allowing for ideal preservation of acidity. 77% of the fruit comes from the Carneros AVA, with the remaining 23% from Napa Valley (primarily from the Oak Knoll AVA). These vineyards consistently produce Chardonnay ideal for our style of winemaking with crisp fruit flavors and bright acidity.
After three years of plentiful harvests, the 2015 vintage resulted in a less abundant crop, but the quality remained exceptional. The mild, dry spring conditions promoted an early bud-break and minimal heat during summer allowed the fruit to ripen at a steady pace through picking, which began a few days earlier than 2014. The drier-than-normal conditions contributed to the smaller berry size and low yields, resulting in wines with outstanding concentration and flavor.
Much of the fruit for the Napa Valley Chardonnay is handpicked and gently whole cluster pressed, in order to preserve the fresh floral aromatics, while 25% of the wine was fermented in stainless steel and remained in tank until the final blend was assembled. The winemaking hand remains light with 25% of the wine fermented and aged in new French oak barrels and the remaining 50% in seasoned French oak. This specific barrel treatment helps preserve the essential purity of the fruit while adding subtle notes of oak complexity. The 2015 vintage, as usual, did not undergo malolactic fermentation to further maintain the fruit’s natural acidity and aromatic freshness. The wine was bottled after just six months of maturation with a weekly battonage, putting the yeast lees in suspension in order to release subtle aromatics, increase the mouth feel and prevent reductive qualities.
Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay